Wednesday, October 10, 2012

5773

In my quest for Rishonim on Chumash, I roamed the bookshops of Jerusalem, and of course I spoke with my good friend Rabbi Eli Mayer Cohen of Lakewood. He introduced me in the past to Rabbeinu Chaim Paltiel and to the Bechor Shor, whose works we studied the last two years. Rabbi Cohen lamented how seldom earlier manuscripts are brought to print, but that he had come across a volume which was out of print, something from a fairly unknown Ba'al Tosafos. He offered to lend me his tattered copy, but I told him how hesitant I was. I like to write notes in the margins of the sefarim I study, and would have trouble focusing if unable to resort to my method of learning and note taking. Some weeks after, he contacted me, excited. A friend of his was foraging through a used book sale and came upon that very volume in good condition! He had called Rabbi Cohen and said it was going for four dollars, so he told his friend to grab it for me. We talked about ways he might ship it or send it to me. In August, I attended the great Sium HaShas in New Jersey. Out of the crowd came a young man brandishing that sefer. Rabbi Cohen had told his son where I would be sitting, and he delivered this year's Rishon. Let me introduce him. We will be studying the works of Rabbeinu Avigdor ben Rabbeinu Yitzchak. He was known variously as Rabbeinu Avigdor Ba'al HaPsakim - the Master Jurist, and as Rabbeinu AvigdorTzarfati - of France. Needless to say, he was from France, and lived in the 13th century near the close of the era of Tosafists. His father was one of the rabbis chosen to accompany Rabbeinu Yechiel in Paris for the great and tragic debate against Catholic clergy. Young Rabbeinu Avigdor was also present. As far as I can ascertain, he was a rabbi in the town of Feillens which is in eastern France (I base this on the Hebrew spelling he uses in identifying his town, and on a map of France). Rabbeinu Avigdor was the author of many works (most still in manuscript) and seems to have had a range of scholarship which included practical halacha, the esoteric origins of some halachic practices, and was also part of a secret circle of kabbalists, or mystics. His work on the Torah, which has now come my way, appears to encompass each of these areas. He appears to trace many practices and customs to Biblical allusions. He teases out midrashic and mystical lessons from the context in which verses are written. I have begun a selective reading of his words and am still deciphering his style and method. As we begin our Torah cycle in the new year of 5773, I will introduce a sample of his sefer Pirushim u'Pesakim l'Rabbeinu Avigdor HaTzarfati, Ba'al HaPesakim - The Interpretations and the Rulings of Rabbeinu Avigdor the French, Master Jurist. May our travels together bring much illumination, adventure and growth in HaShem's ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home